The services provided by the Institute to its members include:
- The annual national conference at discounted registration rates
- Unified Auditions for member companies
- Individual member “Portfolio” pages on the Institute’s web site, with links to the members’ web sites and listing in the online membership directory
- Research and publications on matters of interest to the membership, including attendance statistics, audience surveys, economic impact studies, technological developments, cultural tourism and marketing trends
- Access to interactive members-only sections of website
- Feasibility studies for new theatres provided by teams of professional consultants and ongoing development assistance for communities wishing to establish outdoor theatres
- Consultations to member companies in all areas of theatre management, strategic planning, board retreats, executive search and special projects
- Public information and promotions of the outdoor entertainment experiences provided by our members
- Liaison with other national and international arts services and tourism organizations, government agencies and unions
- Assistance in executive search
- Awards programs
Perhaps the most valued benefit of membership in IOD is the network it provides of theatre professionals sharing common challenges, expertise and aspirations.
Regular membership in the IOD is open to theatrical companies who perform all or a significant portion of their work in outdoor settings. Regular dues are based on the annual budget of the organization:
Regular Members receive all publications, voting rights (one per organization), member rates at the National Conference and Auditions, and listing in all printed and virtual publications. Routine consulting services of IOD are included in the membership benefits, while extended or onsite consultations are discount priced on a case-by-case basis.
Each regular member has one voting representative, but other staff members can be designated as “Affiliate Members” at no additional cost. Affiliates receive all IOD communications, can access the ‘Member’s Only’ portion of the website, and are eligible to attend any IOD function at the member rate.
Organizations planning to begin a new outdoor theatre can attend Institute events and receive all publications for a “Planning Membership” of $75.00 per year.
Companies providing equipment and services to the theatre industry may become Business Members of the IOD, receiving all member benefits as well as attending the annual conference. Annual dues for Business Members are $150.
Private individuals wishing to participate in the activities of the Institute pay annual dues of $75.00
The membership year coincides with the calendar year, but dues paid in the last quarter of the year entitle organizations to the next full membership year. Memberships lapse if dues are not received by March 31st.